- 91% of Cell phone users keep their phones within arms reach 24/7 (Mary Meeker - Web2 Summit, November ‘08).
- iPhone is already pushing over 50% of data on cell phone networks.
- One benefits of being on the good side of the digital divide? Revenue doubles in communities with access to high speed Internet.
- 67% of travelers and 77% of frequent business travelers with Web-enabled mobile devices have used the mobile Web to find local services and attractions. (Mobile: The Next Platform for Travel, April 2009)
- Location-based services are also expanding in use and popularity, frequent business travelers expect to receive services such as mapping, navigation services and city guides upon arriving at a destination. (Mobile: The Next Platform for Travel, April 2009)
- In the US, 30% of iPhone users say it replaces their laptop usage (PhoCusWright ITB Mobile Travel panel)
- 69% of Americans using e-mail on their mobile phone use it daily
Some uses of mobile devices while traveling you may want to capitalize on:
- Strong local search, Yelp, SugarSpoon and TripAdvisor listings - people can find you on an iPhone app-mapping function gives travelers walking, driving or bus directions built into the device.
- Users taking a photo on their phone and immediately sending it to family & friends
- Downloading apps that make their travel easier (See - TripIt.com, Google Maps, Yelp)
- Downloadable audio quides to attractions - mobile-based walking tours
The bottom line is that we never would have given that taco shop money if we had not had the mobile device. (PS - it was GREAT! South Shore Grill)
OK - I know this is a little scattered, but it is a capture place for some stats I have been seeing. What about you? Do you have a story of how using a mobile device while traveling enhanced your travel experiene? Let us know!